Side Lot Rules
Here are the rules for purchasing a side lot:
- All applicants must own the house adjacent to the side lot
- Applicants cannot have any overdue taxes
- Side Lots will be sold on a first come, first serve basis
- Preference will be given to the neighbor that has maintained the lot
- Applications will be reviewed within three business days
- You are expected to pay the annual property taxes on this property after its purchase.
Who can purchase a side lot?
- You must be own the property adjacent to an eligible side lot.
- You cannot have unpaid delinquent property taxes on properties located in Wayne County, or have lost property to back taxes in Wayne County in the last three years.
- Any purchaser who misrepresents themselves regarding these qualifications is subject to loss of payments and/or the property.
- In addition, the Detroit Land Bank reserves the right to exclude purchasers with a history of delinquent taxes or code violations.
How to Purchase
- Each property will be open for sale on a first come, first serve basis. Preference is given to residents that have maintained the lot.
- Side lots are sold for $100. To purchase a side lot, complete the application with your information.
- Applications will be reviewed within three business days, when they will be approved or declined.
- Once your application has been approved, the side lot deed will be available at your District Manager’s office during a pre-scheduled time with the DLBA.
- The DLBA reserves the right to reject any and all applications and either remove a property from auction, or reopen bidding on it at a later date.
- No charge will be made to your credit card when you submit your application. If you do not have a minimum of $100 available credit balance you will not be able to purchase the side lot.
- The $100 authorization will automatically be released by most credit cards within 2-3 business days for all applicants that are declined for a side lot purchase.
- If you are approved to purchase a side lot, your credit card will immediately be charged $100. If this $100 charge is declined by your credit card company, you will lose your right to purchase the property.
- Approved applicants will be notified by email within three business days of the applications submission and their credit card will immediately be charged $100.00.
- Purchasers of side lots will be directed to pick up their deed and complete an affidavit agreeing to maintain the side lot and pay the associated taxes at their District Manager’s office during pre-selected time frames and dates.
- If you fail to pick up your deed or complete the affidavit, the Land Bank will retain the $100 as a penalty charge and you will lose your right to purchase the property.
Obligation to Maintain the Property
- By purchasing a side lot, purchasers are required to maintain the lot and keep all blight from the property.
- Purchasers are expected to pay all associated taxes with the eligible side lot.
NOTICE: The Detroit Land Bank Authority advises all purchasers that it is selling these properties “as is,” with no representations or warranties of any kind, including but not limited to any warranty of habitability or fitness for a particular purpose. Any information provided on this website or otherwise, orally or in writing, now or in the future, is for convenience only and the Land Bank makes no representation or warranty as to its accuracy or completeness.